Official Blog of Dr. Peter F. Gregory and his Foot Health Team
Posts for: August, 2018
One of the most important purchases on any parent’s shopping list should be a pair of proper fitting shoes for their child. The Foot Health Team of Dr. Peter F. Gregory, D.P.M. would like to share several important factors that parents should consider while back to school shopping:
· Children’s Feet Change with Age. Shoe and sock sizes may change
every few months as a child’s feet grow.
· Shoes That Don’t Fit Properly Can Aggravate the Feet. Always
measure the child's feet before buying shoes, and watch for signs
· Never Hand Down Footwear. Just because a shoe size fits one child
comfortably doesn’t mean it will fit another the same way. Also,
sharing shoes can spread fungi like athlete's foot and nail fungus.
· Examine the Heels. Children may wear through the heels of their shoes
quicker than outgrowing shoes themselves. Uneven heel wear can
indicate a foot problem that should be checked by a podiatrist.
· Take Your Child Shoe Shopping. Every shoe fits differently. Letting a
child have a say in the shoe buying process promotes healthy foot
habits down the road.
· Always Buy for the Larger Foot. Feet are seldom precisely the same
· Buy Shoes That Do Not Need a “Break-In” Period. Shoes should be
comfortable immediately. Also make sure to have your child try on
shoes with socks or tights, if that’s how they'll be worn.
· Consider Closed Toe Shoes. Covering the child’s toes allows for more
Do Your Child's Shoes "Make The Grade?"
· Look For a Stiff Heel. Press on both sides of the heel counter. It
· Check Toe Flexibility. The shoe should bend with your child’s toes. It
shouldn't be too stiff or bend too much in the toe box area.
· Select a Shoe With a Rigid Middle. Does your shoe twist? Your shoe
should never twist in the middle.
· Are the shoes secure on the foot? Laces or Velcro are best to hold the
foot in place.
If your child is experiencing foot pain or you have other concerns, please make an appointment today by calling 734-522-7676
Your feet tell a story...We are here to listen!