FOOT PAIN IN RUNNERS / JOGGERS
The most common causes of foot pain after a race (like the upcoming Turkey Trot) are:
1. Toenail Contusion- if you are healthy, try soaking your foot in warm water and Epsom salt for 20 minutes. If you have Diabetes, or if this doesn't work after doing it once or twice....Call us.
2. Sprain of your Spring Ligament: This is your arch ligament which may eventually cause your foot to flatten if not treated. Rest, Ice, and Elevation will help this, but if your arch pain is not improved after 3 days, Call us.
3. Stress Fracture: This is the single most common injury that people try to "walk though". You can't see it on an X-ray until it becomes a full fracture that may need surgery if let go too long. If you have swelling that lasts more than 3 days, you need to have this treated.
4. Cellulitis: Skin infections happen from sweaty socks, hot days, and rubbing your foot in a dirty shoe (not all our shoes are sparkling clean on the inside). You cannot manage this by yourself, and this is often misdiagnosed as a sprain for weeks. If your skin is red, or warm to the touch you need to call us.
5. Blisters: The single most common problem. Warm water and Epsom salt soaks will help; these may need to be drained if in a painful area. While this may be a nuisance to a young healthy person, If you have Diabetes, you must come in as it may become very threatening!
IF YOU HAVE ANY INJURY TO YOUR FOOT THAT DOES NOT IMPROVE AFTER 3 DAYS YOU NEED A PODIATRIST! CONTACT THE FOOT HEALTH TEAM OF DR. PETER F. GREGORY D.P.M. FOR AN APPOINTMENT.